How do you make a creamy potato salad when using whole foods? Simple! Mash up a fresh ripe avocado, and substitute it for the vegan mayo (not an ingredient I use in my kitchen!) I like to season this recipe to give it an extra kick, so it’s truly a dish you can enjoy on its own or paired with a light soup or wrap. Get ready to try the best whole-food potato salad ever!
By Veronica Grace,
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 1 large avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon (or less) Herbamare or sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons maple syrup or liquid sweetener (optional, to balance the acidic lemon and spicy mustard)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh dill, packed and then chopped
- ½ bunch green onions (green part), sliced
- 3 stalks celery, trimmed and sliced
- ½ white onion, diced
- Wash the potatoes and cut out any bad spots or eyes. Steam gently for about 10 minutes, until just fork tender through the center. Immediately run under cold water to prevent further cooking.
- For best results, refrigerate the cooked potatoes for about an hour. (This ensures they don’t fall apart when slicing.)
- Quarter the potatoes and peel if desired. Place in a large bowl.
- Peel and mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice, mustard, paprika, Herbamare or salt, and maple syrup (if using), and stir into the avocado to create a dressing. Season with pepper to taste.
- Add the dill, green onion, celery, onion, and avocado dressing to the potatoes. Toss gently until everything is coated. Taste test and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve the same day, or refrigerate and serve the next day, (as the avocado darkens and breaks down quickly).
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.