- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 6
- print/save recipe
Sometimes you just want mashed potatoes, and this basic vegan recipe makes them easy and healthy. Low-sodium vegetable broth adds flavor with no need to add fat-laden butter or milk. Three simple ingredients get you satisfying mashed potatoes in just 30 minutes.
- 2½ pounds russet potatoes (2 to 3 large potatoes), peeled and cut into large chunks
- Low-sodium vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Add vegetable broth to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain off all but ½ cup of any remaining vegetable broth. (Reserve the drained off broth.)
- Mash the potatoes to the desired consistency, adding more of the vegetable broth as needed. Season to taste with salt.