- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
This striking baked cauliflower side dish will be a hit for any holiday spread, potluck, or Sunday night supper. With its cheesy sauce, fork-tender veggies, and crispy toppings, this dish is a satisfying blend of textures and flavors. If you like, you can substitute broccoli for some or all of the cauliflower.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (2 lb.)
- 1 small onion, chopped (¾ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place cauliflower and onion in a steamer basket in a Dutch oven. Add water to Dutch oven to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, about 8 minutes or just until tender. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan cook garlic in 2 Tbsp. water over medium about 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. In a blender combine cooked garlic and the next five ingredients (through mustard); cover and blend until smooth. Return to saucepan. Cook and stir about 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in parsley. Season with white pepper. Pour sauce over cauliflower in baking dish.
- Sprinkle panko and almonds over cauliflower. Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until heated through. To transport, cover dish and place in an insulated carrier with a hot pack.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.