- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 8-inch pan
- print/save recipe
When it comes to Southern cooking, cornbread is as classic as it gets. This lightly sweet plant-based version gets a boost of color and flavor from frozen corn and fresh red bell pepper. Serve a big slice as a side to a warm bowl of chili or enjoy on its own with a hearty slather of homemade corn butter.
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan or 2-quart square baking dish with parchment paper. In a bowl stir together the first five ingredients (through vinegar). Let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together the next five ingredients (through sea salt). Add milk mixture. Stir just until moistened. Stir in corn and bell pepper. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.