- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
- print/save recipe
Fresh orange juice and ginger brighten the Asian flavors of the dressing in this Chinese Cabbage Salad. When selecting mandarin oranges at the store, opt for ones that are a bit firm to slightly soft, with a noticeable citrus fragrance.
- 6 mandarin oranges or clementines
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons pure cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon Asian chili paste (sambal oelek)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 2 cups packaged fresh julienned carrots
- 2 cups bite-size strips red sweet peppers
- ½ cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Peel, seed, and section mandarin oranges over a bowl to catch juice; reserve 2 tablespoons of the juice.
- In an extra-large bowl whisk together the reserved orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, tahini, sugar, ginger, and chili paste. Add orange sections, cabbage, kale, carrots, sweet peppers, ¼ cup of the peanuts, and the green onions; toss to coat.
- Top servings with the remaining ¼ cup peanuts.