- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 6
- print/save recipe
Sweet potatoes make a surprisingly smooth and creamy sauce for one of America’s favorite dishes. Of course, our version isn’t just delicious; it’s also as healthy as it can be! Enjoy this vegan Mac and Cheese for lunch, dinner, or an afternoon snack.
- 1 14-ounce package dried whole grain macaroni
- 1 large sweet potato (12 ounces), peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk, such as almond, soy, coconut, or rice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large pot cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Transfer macaroni to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook sweet potato, covered, in enough boiling water to cover 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain.
- For sauce, in a blender or food processor combine sweet potato and onion. Cover and blend or process until smooth, adding enough of the milk to reach a creamy consistency. Add nutritional yeast, garlic, nutmeg, and rosemary. Cover and blend or process just until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cooked macaroni; stir to coat. Transfer to a 2-qt. square baking dish. Bake 15 minutes or until top starts to brown.