- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 2 bowls
- print/save recipe
A creamy cashew sauce tops off this nourishing medley of beans, veggies, and pasta. Orzo is an ideal base for bowls such as this because the small rice-shaped pasta soaks up the flavors of other ingredients. This easy recipe comes together in just 30 minutes, making it great for busy weeknights.
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup coarsely chopped orange bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup dry orzo
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups shredded fresh spinach
- In a small bowl combine cashews and 1 cup hot water. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion over medium about 10 minutes or until onion starts to turn golden brown. Add water, 1 to 2 tablespoon at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Transfer cashews and soaking water to a blender. Add nutritional yeast, vinegar, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Cover and blend until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Warm beans in a saucepan.
- Divide orzo between two bowls. Top with vegetables, spinach, and beans. Drizzle with cashew sauce.