- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
- print/save recipe
This dessert is easier and faster to make than an apple pie or crisp, and it requires no baking. Instead of refined sugars, this recipe uses dates for sweetness, and lemon juice and nutmeg for that extra zing.
From Straight Up Food
Use a good eating apple, such as a Gala, Fuji, or Pink Lady in this recipe, or a mix.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
For the crumble topping:
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 pitted Medjool dates (or 4 Deglet Noor), chopped
For the diced apple filling:
- 4 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the applesauce (to be tossed with the diced apples):
- 2 apples, peeled and diced (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 pitted Medjool dates (or 10 Deglet Noor), chopped
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- To make the crumble topping: Blend the walnuts and dates in a food processor to make crumbly nuggets similar in size to Grape Nuts cereal. Spoon into a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the filling: Toss the 4 peeled, diced apples with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and set aside in a bowl.
- Next, blend all of the sauce ingredients in the food processor: 2 apples, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, plus the dates, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss this mixture with the sliced apples.
- To serve, spoon into dessert dishes and sprinkle with the date-nut crumble topping.