- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 1 loaf
- print/save recipe
This is your favorite gingerbread with a surprise in the center—whole spiced poached pears! The absorbent fruits are soaked in a hot bath of apple cider, red wine, cinnamon, and cloves to infuse them with all the best holiday flavors. Homemade Aquafaba Whipped Cream creates a silky smooth topping that perfectly complements the sweet cake. Sprinkle everything with a little extra cinnamon and voilà, you have a restaurant-quality dessert for your winter feast!
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 cup red wine or apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 small fresh Bartlett pears (5 to 6 oz. each), peeled with stems left intact
- ⅓ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons regular or sodium-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 recipe Aquafaba Whipped Cream
- In a large saucepan combine the first four ingredients (through cloves) and 1 cup water. Add pears. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until pears are nearly tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to a paper-towel-lined plate. Let cool and blot away any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or use a silicone loaf pan. In a small bowl stir together molasses, applesauce, flaxseed meal, and ⅔ cup water. Let rest 5 minutes. In a large bowl combine the next eight ingredients (through cloves). Add molasses mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Place pears, stem ends up, evenly distributed down center of loaf pan. Carefully spoon gingerbread batter around pears, keeping pears in center of pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in loaf comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool 15 minutes. Carefully remove loaf from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cut loaf so each piece will have a slice of pear. If desired, serve with Aquafaba Whipped Cream and sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon.