- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 3 cups
- print/save recipe
Purple sticky rice, a classic Thai dessert ingredient, is ideal for rice pudding. If you can’t find purple sticky rice, you can use brown sticky rice, aka brown sweet rice. Top this pudding with tropical fruits like kiwi, mango, kumquats, and/or pineapple for an eye-popping treat that’s healthy enough to have for breakfast.
- ¾ cup sweet purple sticky rice
- 1½ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 1 ripe banana, coarsely chopped
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds scraped, or 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 kiwifruit, halved and sliced
- ½ cup sliced fresh mango, kumquats, or pineapple
- In a medium saucepan combine rice, milk, banana, vanilla pod and seeds, and 1½ cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove lid; cook 1 minute more to “tighten” rice into a creamy pudding. Remove vanilla pod.
- Serve pudding warm, chilled, or at room temperature. Top with fruit.