- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 doughnuts
These chocolaty dessert doughnuts incorporate orange juice, zest, and segments for moist and flavorful results. If you don’t have a doughnut mold, use a standard 2½-inch muffin pan and fill cups two-thirds full with batter. Tip: You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oat flour.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1¼ cups oat flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 oranges, divided
- ¾ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 1¼ cup orange juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pure cane sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons arrowroot powder
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl combine flaxseed meal and ¼ cup water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In another bowl stir together the next five ingredients (through salt). Remove 1 tsp. zest from an orange; add to bowl. Add the milk, ¼ cup orange juice, the tahini, and vanilla to the flaxseed mixture; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir until combined.
- Pour batter into a large piping bag or resealable plastic bag. Cut tip or corner of bag to ½ inch. Pipe batter into eight 3½-inch nonstick or silicone doughnut molds, filling each mold about halfway. Bake doughnuts 12 to 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, make the Orange Sauce: In a small saucepan combine the sugar and arrowroot powder. Remove ½ tsp. zest from an orange; add zest to sauce pan. Stir in 1 cup of the orange juice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove doughnuts from oven. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Loosen edges of doughnuts from sides of pan and carefully invert pan to remove. (You may need to firmly tap one edge of the pan against counter to loosen doughnuts.)
- Peel and slice oranges. To serve doughnuts, spoon about 1 Tbsp. Orange Sauce on each dessert plate. Top with a doughnut and orange slices. Drizzle remaining sauce over doughnuts. Top with shaved chocolate.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.