- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 rolls
Long, thin strips of zucchini, aka zucchini noodles or zoodles, are a great way to get the texture of pasta with the lightness of vegetables, and they make a satisfying stuffing in these tasty summer rolls. An easy basil pesto dipping sauce is creamy and refreshing. Time-saving tip: Skip the spiralizer and look for precut zucchini noodles in the supermarket produce section. Rinse and pat them dry with paper towels before using.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 16 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 medium zucchini, spiralized into noodles (2 cups)
- 16 brown rice paper wrappers
- 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, cut into 3-inch matchsticks
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 3-inch matchsticks
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Tear lettuce leaves from ribs; discard ribs. Cut lettuce into 3x1-inch strips.
- Line a baking dish with paper towels. Spread zucchini noodles in baking dish. Pat noodles dry with additional paper towels. Create an assembly station with rice paper, lettuce, zucchini noodles, and bell peppers. Fill a wide shallow bowl halfway with warm water and place near rice paper with a cutting board.
- To assemble, gently slide two sheets of rice paper into the bowl of water; let soak 20 seconds to soften. Remove wrappers from water and stack them on the cutting board. On the edge closest to you, place four to six lettuce strips. Top with about ¼ cup zucchini noodles, two sticks each of red and yellow bell peppers, and one more lettuce strip.
- Fold the nearest edge of rice paper up and over the filling, tucking it under the roll and pulling the roll toward you. Hold the fold in place with your thumbs on either side and fold in left and right sides. Continue rolling until wrap is rolled up. Repeat with remaining rice paper and filling ingredients.
- For pesto sauce, in a blender combine the remaining ingredients and ½ cup water. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Dip a sharp knife in water and cut rolls in half. Serve with sauce.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.