Several years ago, my Mom, Dad, sister Jane, Colin Campbell, and I gave a one-day “Healthy You” seminar in Tucson, Arizona. The night before the event we were invited to Anne Minkus’s home to mingle with many of the plant-strong pillars of the community. We had an unforgettable weekend and dinner at Anne’s home, with these Spicy Lentil Tacos leading the charge.
By Rip Esselstyn,
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 large onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ jalapeño, diced
- One (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Tomatoes, diced
- Lettuce, shredded
- Jicama, peeled and shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Bring the lentils and 2½ cups of water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils soften, around 20 minutes.
- Saute the onions, garlic, and jalapeños in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions start to turn brown and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed, to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Add the cooked lentils and taco seasoning to the saucepan.
- Mix well, add the vegetable stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Drape each corn tortilla over two bars of a vertical oven rack so that the tortilla’s two opposing sides hang down, evenly, facing each other.
- Cook the tortillas until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the tortillas from the rack and admire your new taco shells.
- Spoon lentil mixture into the taco shells. Top with tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, jicama, and salsa. Note, if you’d prefer, use romaine lettuce leaves as a wrap instead of the taco shells.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.