- Ready In:
- Makes 8 slices
Aquafaba is the not-so-secret ingredient that make this vegan French toast recipe soft, thick, and eggy—without the eggs. Use your favorite bread or berries to create your own signature version.
Aquafaba is the liquid that comes from soaking or cooking beans or legumes—it’s the thick liquid you see when you open a can of chickpeas. The liquid is often used in vegan baked goods as an egg substitute, as its texture and composition of starches and protein make it useful for thickening, binding, emulsifying, and foaming.
You can use the liquid from canned or boxed chickpeas or other beans, or make your own.
Headnote: Use a large nonstick griddle to make the French toast in batches. The texture of the toast will depend on which kind of bread you select. Denser breads will need to be soaked a bit longer than softer breads.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup aquafaba
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches of salt (optional)
- ½ tablespoon orange zest (from half an orange)
- 8 whole-grain bread slices (about ¾ inches thick)
- 4.5 ounces (about 1 cup) blueberries or raspberries (fresh, or frozen and thawed)
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Combine the plant milk, flour, aquafaba, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt (if using) in a bowl and stir until the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a shallow pan. Stir in the orange zest and mix well.
- Warm a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip each bread slice into the mixture and let soak for a few seconds. Turn over and soak for a few seconds more. Place in the skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over gently, then cook the other side for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place the toast on the wire rack and bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp.
- Combine berries, applesauce, and maple syrup in a blender and pulse until sauce reaches a chunky consistency.
- Serve the french toast warm with the berry compote.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.