- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 24 mini muffins
- print/save recipe
Aquafaba and mashed banana create mini muffins that are moist and tender. Dates, along with diced apples, raisins, and a splash of orange juice, add natural sweetness to these bite-size vegan treats, which make for a delicious portable breakfast, midafternoon snack, or wholesome dessert.
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- ⅔ cup mashed banana
- ½ cup pitted whole dates, snipped (3.5 oz.)
- ¼ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoon regular or sodium-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup finely chopped apple
- ½ cup raisins, snipped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line mini muffin cups with foil liners (do not use paper liners) or use a nonstick mini muffin pan. Drain garbanzo beans, reserving ½ cup of the liquid (aquafaba). Cover and chill beans up to 3 days for another use.
- In a blender or food processor combine the ½ cup aquafaba and the next seven ingredients (through vanilla). Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add banana mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in apple and raisins. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin’s center comes out clean. Cool in muffin pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool completely.