- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
- print/save recipe
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo—or elevate any day of the year—by serving up a big batch of vegan Nachos Verdes. Our veggie-packed recipe features a well-spiced mix of lima beans, corn, and onions plus homemade sour cream and all the fixings. This delicious recipe is festive enough for a party appetizer, and healthy enough to enjoy as a meal.
- 12 oil-free corn tortillas, cut into 1½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1½ cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1½ cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small onion, cut into ¼-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- Sea salt
Green Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 (12-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 cup store-bought salsa verde
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (½ cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread the tortilla pieces on the baking sheets, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Leave oven on.
- Combine the lima beans, corn, onion, garlic, cumin, and oregano in a saute pan with ½ cup of water. Cover pan and cook for 10 minutes, until the beans are tender. Add salt to taste.
- To make the tofu sour cream, combine the tofu, spinach, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and mustard in a blender; blend to a smooth paste.
- Arrange half of the baked tortilla chips in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread half of the beans mixture over the chips. Dollop one-third of the tofu sour cream and salsa over the top, then sprinkle with half of the scallions and cilantro. Repeat with a second layer of chips, beans, tofu sour cream, salsa, scallions, and cilantro.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove nachos from oven, and top with remaining salsa and tofu sour cream, plus lettuce, avocado, and jalapeño (if using).
- Serve immediately.