- Ready In:
- Makes 6 small pizzas
When you have fresh pita bread on hand—or any other flatbread, for that matter—homemade pizza is just minutes away. Topped with a tasty corn and black bean combo, these Tex-Mex pita pizzas are assembled after the pita crusts have been crisped in the oven so they won’t get soggy.
We’ve kept the topping mild so it will appeal to adults and kids alike, but you can always adjust the heat level with the salsa you choose. To serve, cut each pizza into wedges or place whole on individual plates to be eaten with forks and knives.
By Darshana Thacker,
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, any color
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 6 6- to 7-inch whole wheat pita rounds
- 1 cup chopped avocado
- 1 cup oil-free salsa
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, bring ¼ cup of water to a boil. Add the onion, sweet pepper, garlic, and cumin; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until the onion is tender, stirring occasionally and adding additional water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Stir in the beans and corn. Cook for 5 minutes more or until flavors are blended and beans and corn are heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the pita rounds on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Mash the avocado. Spread pita rounds with avocado and bean mixture. Top with salsa and sprinkle with cilantro.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.