- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 pizzas
- print/save recipe
Healthy, homemade pita pizzas make a perfect dinner option for lazy weeknights. Kid-friendly and great for parties, this tasty vegan comfort food will be ready faster than junk-food delivery pizza could ever arrive at your door. The easy homemade tomato sauce gets extra zesty flavor from the addition of fresh basil and sun-dried tomatoes. Best of all, cold pita pizzas make delicious next-day leftovers! Enjoy them for breakfast, or pack for an easy workday lunch.
Recipe from Green Evi.
Find this recipe and more (plus create a quick shopping list) in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 6 whole-wheat pitas
For the tomato sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large handful of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olives, halved
- ½ cup diced smoked tofu
- 10–12 pickled peperoncini, sliced
- ½ zucchini, thinly sliced or shaved
- 3 tablespoons Vegan Parmesan
- fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine the diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato puree, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, a handful of fresh basil, oregano, and thyme in a blender; season with salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.
- Place the pitas on a baking sheet and spread tomato sauce on top. Scatter the olives, tofu, peperoncini, and shaved zucchini over the sauce.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle Vegan Parmesan and fresh basil over pizzas and enjoy!