- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 4 pizzas
Did someone say pizza party? Homemade dough, a savory ricotta-like bean spread, and fresh pesto make these tasty flatbreads feel like an extra special treat. If you’re cooking with guests, let everyone mix and match which veggies they put on top! Feel free to use anything that’s in season, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar just before serving for a flavorful finishing touch.
By Nancy Macklin,
- 2 to 2½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon pure cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 recipe Homemade Vegan Pesto
- ½ of a yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt. Add 1 cup warm water (120°F to 130°F); mix well. Gradually add up to ½ cup flour to make a soft dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into four portions. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mash together beans, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon water until nearly smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into an 11×8-inch oval. Place ovals on baking sheets that have been very lightly sprinkled with flour.
- Carefully slide crusts onto grill. Grill pizza crusts, covered, over medium 2 to 3 minutes or until bottoms are well browned. Transfer crusts to baking sheets. Turn crusts browned side up. Spread bean mixture over crusts; spread Easy Vegan Pesto Sauce over bean mixture. Top with bell pepper strips, onion, and tomatoes.
- Slide pizzas onto grill. Grill, covered, 2 to 3 minutes or until crust bottoms are well browned. Transfer pizzas to baking sheets; cut into wedges. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.