- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes about 22 nuggets
- print/save recipe
Kids go crazy for this vegan alternative to chicken nuggets. Serve our tender-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the-outside chickpea bites with ketchup and BBQ sauce for dipping, and feel free to offer hot sauce for spice-loving adults. Leftovers are great for next-day lunches too, because they taste delicious hot or cold. To prepare the nuggets in an air fryer, cook them for 15 minutes at 370˚F. These other chickpea dishes are healthy and delicious like this one.
- ½ cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (3 cups)
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ketchup, BBQ sauce, and/or hot sauce for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small, shallow bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the chickpeas, rice, onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, nutritional yeast, lime juice, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste; pulse to a coarse texture that sticks together when pinched between two fingers. (If you don’t have a food processor, use a potato masher.) Mold about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into an oblong nugget, then roll the nugget in seasoned bread crumbs, and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all of the mixture is used. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip nuggets and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup, BBQ sauce, and/or hot sauce for dipping.