The vegetables in the filling are really just a suggestion. Use whatever you and your family like. Add rice and red bell peppers, or sautéed broccoli and mushrooms. The possibilities are endless. We usually have this with baked tortilla chips and guacamole and salsa.
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 4 cups mashed pinto beans
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1½ cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 2.25-ounce can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 10 whole wheat or 16 corn tortillas
- diced onion
- Place all ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan. Mix with a whisk until well combined. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more chili powder and salt, if desired. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- To assemble casserole, place the beans in a large bowl. Add the scallions, corn, olives and green chilies. Mix gently until well combined.
- Place 1½ cups of the sauce in the bottom of a large non-stick baking dish. Take 1 tortilla at a time and spread a line of the bean mixture down the center of the tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas, placing them snugly next to each other.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the rolled up tortillas, spreading it out evenly. Cover with parchment paper, then cover with aluminum foil, crimping the edges over the baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional toppings, if desired.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.