A no-knead, homemade vegan bread bowl doubles as both the serving vessel and the dippers for a very flavorful, creamy vegan dip. Serve with raw vegetables as well so guests can enjoy every last bit of dip.
1. To make Bread Bowl, preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl combine 1 cup milk, mashed potatoes, and lemon juice. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix gently to combine, but do not knead. Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten it into a large disk that is 1½ inch high and 7 inches in diameter. Press into the middle of the disk to create a well. Line this well with a piece of parchment paper, and fill it with pie weight or dry beans.
5. Brush the surface of the loaf with the remaining ¼ cup milk, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Bake 50 to 60 minutes until brown on top.
7. Remove bread bowl from the oven and remove the weights. Use a serrated knife to cut wedge-shaped slices into the bread bowl for easier serving, but don’t cut all the way through to the bottom.
8. To make Dip, place the asparagus and ¼ cup of water in a skillet; cook for 5 to 7 minutes until cooked but still crunchy; do not overcook. Cool the asparagus under cold running water, and chop into ¼-inch pieces.
9. In a saucepan, mix together the milk, flour, vinegar, nutritional yeast, rosemary, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce thickens. Let the sauce cool down for 10 minutes.
10. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the sun-dried tomatoes to a coarse texture. Add hearts of palm and cooled sauce, then process into a creamy texture.
11. Fold the asparagus into the dip, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon dip into bread bowl just before serving.