- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Make 7½ cups
This satisfying Mediterranean salad gets extra bulk from farro, an heirloom wheat that was a staple ingredient in Ancient Rome. Farro has a chewy texture and doesn’t get soggy easily, making it ideal for salads and soups. Serve lemon wedges alongside this salad for squeezing over top. The fresh juice adds a bright, tangy finish.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 1 cup dry farro
- 2 orange and/or yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 9- to 12-oz. package frozen artichokes, thawed and chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- ⅓ cup Kalamata and/or Castelvetrano olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large saucepan combine farro and 3 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until tender. Place farro in a colander; run under cold water. Drain well.
- In a large bowl combine farro and the next five ingredients (through oregano). Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet cook tomatoes over medium-high 7 to 10 minutes or until they’re blistered and starting to pop, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar and crushed red pepper. Add tomatoes to farro mixture. Toss to combine. Serve with lemon wedges.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.