- 1 32-oz. carton low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups dry instant grits
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 14.5-oz. cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added red or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 16-oz. package frozen cut leaf kale
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- In a large saucepan bring vegetable broth and 1 clove garlic to boiling. Stir in grits; reduce heat. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until grits are thickened and creamy, stirring occasionally. (Mixture will splatter. Use a long-handle spoon to avoid burns.) If needed, add up to ½ cup water to thin to desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, in an extra-large skillet cook the remaining 3 cloves garlic, the onion, and bell pepper over medium 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add tomatoes, beans, paprika, and crushed red pepper (if using); bring to boiling. Gradually add kale, cooking until all kale has wilted. Stir in vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon greens over grits. If desired, serve with hot sauce and lemon wedges.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.