- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 2 bowls
- print/save recipe
This vibrant, colorful forbidden rice bowl is a delight to behold and to dig into. Quick-pickling the cabbage is easy and adds tons of tangy flavor. A creamy homemade miso-ginger dressing tops off the medley of veggies and grains. Stock your freezer with bags of mixed vegetables and shelled edamame so you can make these bowls anytime. Though black rice makes for an impressive presentation, you can substitute any grain you wish.
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup forbidden black rice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a glass jar combine cabbage, vinegar, and 1 Tbsp. of the lemon juice. Cover and shake to coat. Let stand 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine rice and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 to 35 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain if necessary. Let rice cool slightly, then fluff with a fork.
- For dressing, in a blender combine remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 Tbsp. water, the maple syrup, miso paste, tahini, and ginger. Cover and blend until smooth.
- In a medium skillet cook vegetables and edamame over medium-low 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Divide rice between two bowls. Top with vegetables and pickled cabbage. Drizzle dressing evenly over bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.