- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6-8 servings
- print/save recipe
The combination of butternut squash, curry spices, brown and wild rice, and chard gives this dish a unique taste and lots of great texture.
Recipe from The Starch Solution.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 3 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- ½ cup wild rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard
- ¾ cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- Put ½ cup of the broth into a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, and chiles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the squash, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and pepper to taste, and cook for 2 minutes. Add both types of rice and the remaining 3½ cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, chard, and scallions and cook until they are heated through and the chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.