- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
- print/save recipe
Broccoli and some pantry staples are all you need to make this comforting rice casserole, which has a subtly creamy texture thanks to a slurry of oat flour and plant milk. Dial up the chili powder and paprika if you like more heat. This recipe is gluten-free if you use certified gluten-free oats.
For more comforting casserole recipes, check out our Vegan Casserole Recipes for Cold Nights.
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1½ cups unsweetened, unflavored plant milk, such as almond, soy, cashew, or rice
- 1½ teaspoons white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas (1½ cups), rinsed and drained
- 1 tomato, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place broccoli in a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Add water to saucepan to just below basket. Bring to boiling. Steam, covered, about 4 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a skillet over high. Add onion, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and ¼ cup water. Cook about 10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place rolled oats in a spice grinder or food processor; grind or pulse until the consistency of flour. In a small bowl whisk together oat flour, milk, and ½ cup water.
- Stir milk mixture into skillet. Add vinegar, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove sauce from heat.
- In a baking dish combine broccoli, rice, and chickpeas. Spread evenly. Pour sauce over rice mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato and parsley. Serve warm.