- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 6
- print/save recipe
This hearty sweet potato chili is just the thing for a chilly night—and there is no dish that can’t be improved by the addition of kale!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (approximately 2 pounds)
- 1 large red onion (approximately 10 ounces), finely chopped
- 2 15 ounce cans salt-free kidney beans
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, diced (or 2 14.5 ounce cans of salt-free tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon salt-free chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (makes a difference when it’s smoked)
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (or more to taste)
- 2 cups lacinato kale finely shredded like coleslaw (around 8 ounces)
- 3 cups of orange juice
- In large pot, sauté onion and bell pepper in half of the orange juice for 8-10 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the kale.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft, but not mushy.
- Turn off heat and stir in kale so it wilts, then serve.
- To make in an electric pressure cooker, place all ingredients in the cooker and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes and release pressure.