- Ready In:
- Serves 8-10
- 1 cup green split peas
- ½ cup dried baby lima beans
- ¼ cup barley
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place split peas, lima beans, barley and stock in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and add bay leaves and celery seed. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour.
Note: If you want to make this without the lima beans, increase the split peas to 2 cups and reduce the initial cooking time to ½ hour. This recipe freezes and reheats well. For a delicious smoky flavor, try adding a couple drops of liquid smoke to the soup about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.