- Ready In:
- Serves 8-10
- 1 cup green split peas
- ½ cup dried baby lima beans
- ¼ cup barley
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place split peas, lima beans, barley and stock in a large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and add bay leaves and celery seed. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 1 additional hour.
Note: If you want to make this without the lima beans, increase the split peas to 2 cups and reduce the initial cooking time to ½ hour. This recipe freezes and reheats well. For a delicious smoky flavor, try adding a couple drops of liquid smoke to the soup about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get delicious recipes, expert health advice, culinary tips and
special offers from Forks Over Knives and our curated partners.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.