- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
- print/save recipe
This hearty vegan cassoulet requires just 20 minutes of active prep time; then it simmers all day in the slow cooker. Three different varieties of canned beans make for a stew as richly flavored as it is convenient. Serve with a whole wheat baguette to sop up every bit of juice.
- 2 14.5-oz. cans no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped parsnips
- ⅔ cup red wine or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups thinly sliced stemmed kale (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker combine the first 13 ingredients (through rosemary).
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours (or high 4 to 4½ hours). Stir in kale (if using) the last 30 minutes of cooking. Before serving, stir in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with additional fresh thyme or rosemary.