- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 10 cups
- print/save recipe
This hearty lentil stew features inky-black beluga lentils prepared with tender delicata squash, earthy mushrooms, and aromatic sage.
- 1 medium delicata squash
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups sliced fresh cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped orange sweet pepper
- 2 tsp. dried sage, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Sea salt, to taste (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups beluga lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Do not peel. Cut squash into ¼-inch thick slices.
- In a large skillet cook squash and onion over medium 2 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add the next six ingredients (through black pepper). Cook and stir 2 minutes more. If desired, season with salt.
- Stir in stock and lentils. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Stir in apple juice; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until mixture is thick and lentils are tender. (If the mixture becomes too dry, gradually add a little water to moisten.)