- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 cups
Lentils add a hearty note to a minestrone soup made with zucchini and kale. A combination of both dried and canned tomatoes gives the broth complex tomato flavor without any additional salt or spices. Quinoa is recommended as a gluten-free alternative to pasta. For extra oomph, swirl some Basil Pesto into each bowl at the table.
By Carla Christian,
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- ¾ cup dry brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 carrot, chopped (½ cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (½ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 large zucchini, chopped (1¼ cups)
- 4 ounces uncooked whole-grain elbow macaroni or quinoa
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), thinly sliced
- 4 cups torn fresh kale
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or soup pot, combine the onion, lentils, carrot, celery, garlic, stock, basil, and oregano. Add 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, macaroni (or quinoa), and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in the kale, crushed tomatoes, and salt. Simmer, uncovered, until the macaroni (or quinoa) is cooked, checking package instructions for cook time.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.