- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 large servings
I created this recipe from basic ingredients (cabbage, potatoes, carrots) and seasonings (parsley, thyme, rosemary) that can be found in the simple, hearty dishes of Irish home cooking. With barley and white beans, too, it’s a healthy, filling meal all on its own. Check out our roundup of vegan St. Patrick’s Day recipe ideas for more inspiration.
By Susan Voisin,
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ head cabbage, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 to 1-½ pounds potatoes, cut in large dice
- 1⁄3 cup pearled barley (optional or substitute with gluten-free grain)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked great northern beans (2 cans, drained)
- 1 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- Crock Pot: Place the vegetables, seasonings, and barley into a large (at least 5 quart) slow cooker. Add enough vegetable broth to just cover the vegetables (start with 6 cups and add more as needed). Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours. Add beans, tomatoes, parsley, and salt to taste. Check seasonings and add more herbs if necessary. Cover and cook for another hour.
- Stovetop: Place vegetables, seasonings, barley, and broth into a large stockpot. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, check seasonings, and add more herbs if necessary. Simmer uncovered for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.