- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 4
- print/save recipe
Braised red cabbage is often served as a side dish with pork, but it is equally good as a main course when cooked with beans. In this vegan recipe, you can substitute any kind of white beans and your favorite type of apple, but make sure you pick a tart variety; the apples and red wine are what give the dish its pleasant sweet-and-sour flavor.
- 1⅓ cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1½ cups dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 1 large head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 4 cups cooked navy beans or 2 15-oz. cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⅓ cups peeled and chopped tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan cook the carrots, onion, and celery over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the wine, mustard, and thyme. Cook 10 minutes or until the wine is reduced by half. Stir in cabbage, beans, and apples.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Season with salt and pepper.