- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes one 13x9-inch casserole
- print/save recipe
This festive dish is a healthy reinvention of a greasy fast-food classic. Oven-baked steak-cut fries get smothered in a zesty homemade chili, then topped with a smooth potato-based cheesy sauce. Yum!
Fries and Cheesy Sauce
- 4 pounds Russet potatoes, cut into ½-inch-thick wedges
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chili and Garnishes
- 1 medium onion, cut into ¼-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (3 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes (1½ cups)
- 4 tablespoons mild (or hot) chili seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks scallions, thinly sliced (¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Place potato wedges in a steamer basket in a saucepan. Add water to saucepan to just below basket. Cover pan and steam potatoes 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Transfer ¼ of the potatoes to a bowl and set aside. Spread out the remaining potatoes in a 13x9-inch casserole dish; bake 20 minutes until fries are crispy and brown.
- For Cheesy Sauce, add milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and garlic powder to bowl with reserved steamed potatoes. Mix well, using a potato masher to mash the potatoes into a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- For chili, in a sauté pan, combine onion and garlic with ¼ cup of water. Sauté 10 minutes on medium heat until onion is tender, adding water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Add beans, tomatoes, and chili seasoning, and cook 5 minutes more or until chili thickens. Add lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble Chili Cheese Fries, spread chili over baked fries in casserole dish. Dollop Cheesy Sauce over chili layer. Bake 20 minutes or until Cheesy Sauce is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and garnish with scallions and cilantro. Serve immediately.