- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes about 20 slices
- print/save recipe
This strawberry bruschetta is an eye-catching appetizer. Hummus is the surprise ingredient in these tasty toasts—it presents like a soft cheese and contrasts nicely with the sweetness of roasted fruit. Balsamic vinegar and black pepper amplify the natural sweetness of fresh strawberries.
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ of a small red onion, chopped (¼ cup)
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, divided
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. lemon zest
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 1-lb. loaf whole wheat French or Italian bread, cut diagonally into ¾-inch slices
- 1 cup purchased (or homemade) oil-free plain hummus
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place strawberries and onion in a 15x10-inch pan. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the vinegar; toss to coat. Roast 10 to 15 minutes or until strawberries are very soft and jamlike but still hold their shape. Pour strawberries and onion into a medium bowl. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 Tbsp. of the basil, the pepper, and lemon zest. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, place bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning once. Cool on a wire rack. Spread toasts with hummus and top with strawberry mixture. Garnish with remaining 2 Tbsp. basil.