- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce, or 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- Sauté the onions in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, until they start to turn brown and translucent. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed, to keep the onions from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, molasses, mustard, pepper to taste, and 1 cup of water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often to prevent scorching, for about 45 minutes, until thickened. Taste and adjust the seasoning. If desired, transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender).
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.