- Ready In:
- Makes 2 bowls
What is more filling than potatoes? And what packs more Southwestern flavor than Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies? Nothing and no one. So, giddyup! It’s time for a quick and hearty vegan potato bowl.
(Editor’s Note: If you can’t find the Ro-Tel brand, you can substitute with any other diced tomatoes with green chilies.)
Recipe from The Engine 2 Seven-Day Rescue Diet.
By Rip Esselstyn,
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- ½ to 1 cup Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (look for no- or low-salt versions)
- 8 ounces frozen corn (we prefer white corn as it is sweeter!)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), chopped
- 2 to 4 cups fresh spinach
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Hot sauce
- Prepare the Yukon Gold potatoes any way you prefer: Microwave the potatoes, two at a time, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until each potato is cooked through. Or preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- Place the beans in a microwavable bowl and heat for 60 seconds. Or, if you prefer to use the stovetop, place the beans in a small pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, or until thoroughly warmed. With the backside of a fork, smash about half of the beans. Add the desired amount of Ro-Tel tomatoes to the beans, along with the corn, pepper, and green onion. Set aside.
- In the base of 2 large bowls, place a layer of fresh spinach, followed by the potato, cut in half or cubed (your choice). Add the bean mixture on top of the potato and garnish with cilantro and a few shakes of your favorite hot sauce. Don’t forget to serve along with a green salad or a heaping helping of cooked greens.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.