- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 4
- print/save recipe
The mild anise-like flavor of fennel is well balanced by the citrus in this hearty salad.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
- 1½ cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- 1 orange, zested, peeled, and segmented (zest and segments reserved)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Rinse the rice under cold water and drain. Add it to a pot with 3 cups of cold water. Bring it to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- While the rice cooks, combine the chickpeas, fennel, orange zest and segments, white wine vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley in a large bowl and mix well. When the rice is finished, add the rice to the bowl and mix well.