- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 cups
Pomegranate seeds add sweetness and sparkle to this autumnal salad, which features a medley of matchstick-cut carrot, pear, turnip, and beet along with mixed greens and nutty wild rice. The colorful presentation is worthy of special occasions. There is no need to serve this salad chilled: It is equally good (or better!) at room temperature. If traveling, we recommend assembling all the components on-site for best appearance.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 1 cup dry wild rice, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup champagne vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1½ teaspoons pure cane sugar
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
- 1 medium pear or apple, cored and cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
- 1 medium turnip or parsnip, peeled and cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
- 1 medium beet, peeled and cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
- 4 cups microgreens or mixed baby greens
- ½ cup chopped toasted Brazil nuts or walnuts
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- In a small saucepan combine wild rice and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and rice is “popped.” Drain if necessary.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the next six ingredients (through salt).
- Transfer rice to a large bowl. Add dressing to warm rice; toss to combine. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots, pear, and turnip; toss to combine. Cover and chill, if desired.
- To transport, carry salad, beet matchsticks, microgreens, nuts, and pomegranate seeds in separate containers in a cooler. Just before serving, add beets and greens to salad; toss to combine. Top with nuts and pomegranate seeds. If desired, garnish with additional microgreens.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.