- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 to 10 cups
You can make the dressing, cook the farro, sauté the kale and broccoli, and prep the other veggies a day in advance, but wait until just before serving to combine them. Note: The Orange-Avocado Dressing will be very thick. Once it’s tossed into the salad, the moisture of the cooked greens will help to thin it out.
By Darshana Thacker,
- ⅓ cup dry farro
- 1 bunch kale, finely chopped (8 to 10 cups)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 orange
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- In a small pot, stir together farro and 1 cup water. Bring to boiling; then reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet sauté the kale and broccoli in 2 tablespoons of water over medium for 5 minutes or until broccoli turns bright green and kale has wilted, adding more water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Drain off any leftover water.
- For dressing, remove 1 tablespoon zest and squeeze ½ cup of juice from the orange. In a blender, combine orange juice and zest with avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, and garlic. Blend until smooth and very thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large salad bowl, combine farro, cooked vegetables, bell pepper, tomatoes, carrot, scallions, and cranberries. Mix well. Top with dressing and mix again. Sprinkle with pine nuts (if using). Serve right away.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.