- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 12 cups
- print/save recipe
With the nutty, cheesy flavor of blended cashews and the subtle tang of vinegar and mustard, the dressing on this Grilled Romaine Salad tastes a lot like traditional Caesar dressing yet contains no cholesterol. Homemade garlicky croutons serve as a crunchy counterpoint to the tender grilled lettuce.
- ½ cup unsalted raw cashews
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 6 cloves garlic
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices sprouted whole grain bread
- 3 hearts of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise
- 1 head radicchio, halved
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 325°F. For dressing, in a blender or food processor combine cashews, vinegar, almond milk, mustard, and 4 of the garlic cloves. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- For croutons, halve the remaining 2 garlic cloves. Rub cut sides of garlic on bread slices. Cut bread into ½-inch cubes and spread on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy.
- Place romaine and radicchio, cut sides down, on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium-high 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly charred. Coarsely chop grilled greens, discarding cores.
- In a large bowl combine greens, beans, and tomatoes. Toss with dressing; top with croutons.