- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 6 cups
Fresh pineapple steals the show in this eye-catching barley salad with tropical flavors. A base of tender butterhead lettuce is piled high with a delicious medley of barley, crunchy bell pepper, and aromatic herbs that are tossed with a citrusy and smoky cashew cream sauce. Hearty enough to be a meal on its own, this easy salad stores well in the fridge as long as you separate the lettuce from the barley mixture.
Tip: Look for small, heavy pineapples, which tend to have the best flavor and sweetness.
By Shelli McConnell,
- 1 cup dry barley
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 4 to 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 8 butterhead (Boston or Bibb) lettuce leaves
- In a medium saucepan combine barley and 3 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 45 to 55 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Place barley in a fine-mesh sieve; rinse under cold water to cool. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cashews and enough boiling water to cover. Cover and let stand 15 minutes; drain. In a blender or small food processor combine cashews and the next four ingredients (through salt). Cover and blend until creamy.
- In a bowl combine barley, pineapple, bell pepper, scallions, and cilantro. Add cashew cream; toss to coat. Arrange lettuce leaves on plates. Spoon barley mixture on lettuce. If desired, sprinkle with additional fresh cilantro and ancho chile powder.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.