- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Serves 2
- print/save recipe
In this comforting vegan mac and cheese, a smooth purée of vegetables, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast (for cheesy flavor), and turmeric (for cheesy color) coats the pasta in a golden, creamy, dairy-free sauce. Any leftover sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. The sauce can also be made ahead and frozen for fast weeknight meals—simply thaw and re-blend before using. Craving a crunchy topping? Simply spread the prepared mac and cheese in a casserole dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs over the, and broil in the oven until brown and crispy.
Recipe from cleanfooddirtygirl.com
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (1½ cups)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or 1 tablespoon finely chopped turmeric root
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces dried whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the potato, carrots, onion, turmeric, garlic, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and add enough water to cover them. Soak for at least 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cool water; drain again. Return to the saucepan.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a blender. Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and ½ cup water. Blend for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Top the pasta with the desired amount of sauce, and toss to coat. Season with pepper.