- Ready In: / Cook Time:
- Makes 8 cups
The secret to a great pasta primavera is the right balance of vegetable flavors and textures, plus a killer sauce. This vegan pasta recipe fits the bill, with crisp-tender broccoli, sweet bell peppers, earthy mushrooms, and tangy tomatoes, all of which are topped with a creamy walnut-and-herb sauce that gets a spicy kick from sambal oelek, an Asian chile paste. Sambal oelek can be found in the Asian section of most supermarkets, but you can also substitute a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. When blending the sauce, don’t worry about pre-chopping the parsley and cilantro. Simply trim away the larger stems before measuring the leaves, then place them directly in the food processor.
Recipe from drmcdougall.com
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- ⅓ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek chile paste or hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces dried rotini pasta
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups red and/or yellow bell pepper strips
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Combine the walnuts, stock, lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, garlic, chile paste, and salt (if using) in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Season with pepper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and bell peppers; cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes more. Drain.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to a large bowl. Add the sauce, and toss to coat. Add the tomatoes; toss gently to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.