This tangy sauce is exactly what you need to prepare Potato Enchiladas or a South-of-the-Border Pizza. And when there’s some on hand in the refrigerator, a very quick meal can be made by stirring some sauce into a pot of rice, beans, and sautéed onions and peppers.
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, and garlic. Blend until smooth. (Do this in batches if necessary.)
2. Transfer to a saucepan and stir in the cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, a generous pinch of salt, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the arrowroot powder with 1 tablespoon water, stirring well to avoid any lumps. Add this to the sauce, stirring well.
4. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sauce reduces a bit and is fragrant. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
5. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 pounds tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot powder
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious, plant-based meals the whole family will enjoy.