- Prep-time: / Ready In:
- Makes 8 sliders
- print/save recipe
Put the veggie back in veggie burger with these produce-packed sliders. Mushrooms, chickpeas, zucchini, onion, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes come together to form the succulent, savory patties, while balsamic-infused zucchini slices serve as buns. These sliders are on the smaller side; if you place them directly on the grill, you run the risk of losing them through the grates. We recommend using a grill pan when cooking them on the grill or on the stove.
Tip: Be sure to reserve the chickpea liquid (aquafaba) before rinsing and draining the chickpeas; you’ll use it to fine-tune the texture of the patty mixture.
For more inspiration, give these easy chickpea recipes a try today!
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup coarsely chopped zucchini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained, and liquid (aquafaba) reserved
- ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into ½-inch-thick planks
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices roma tomato
- In a large skillet cook the first four ingredients (through garlic) over medium 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, as needed to prevent sticking. Place in a food processor with the chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and lemon zest. Cover and pulse until chunky but not pureed. Add 1 to 2 Tbsp. of the aquafaba if the mixture seems dry or isn’t sticking together. Mixture should be moist but not wet. Season with salt and pepper.
- With wet hands, shape bean mixture into eight patties. Chill at least 20 minutes. Lightly dredge patties in cornmeal to coat.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high. Cook sliders 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and heated through, turning once. Brush zucchini planks with some of the balsamic vinegar. Cook in grill pan 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender and grill marks appear, turning once. Cut planks into 16 pieces for “buns.” Place sliders and tomato slices between plank pieces. Drizzle with any remaining vinegar.