- Ready In:
- Serves 4
The next time you’re craving Asian flavors, skip the chopsticks and pile this tasty assortment of colorful veggies into spicy vegan tacos. To make the filling, the vegetables are quick-steamed in a skillet, then finished with a sauce made with ginger, garlic, tamari, and rice vinegar that gets a bit of heat from red pepper flakes. Feel free to switch out the vegetables for whatever is in season, but try to include a variety of textures. You can also use the filling to make burritos with rice.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¾- to 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- 24 6-inch white corn tortillas, warmed
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions (white and green parts)
- Combine the squash and ¼ cup water in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, broccoli, and carrots. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more.
- Combine the cornstarch, tamari, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Stir in ¼ cup water.
- Add the tamari mixture and Swiss chard to the vegetables in the skillet. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally and adding ¼ to ½ cup water to reach the desired consistency.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture onto doubled tortillas and sprinkle with scallions. Fold or roll up tortillas. Serve immediately.
Learn how to cookplant-based meals at home
Forks Over Knives’ online cooking course will help you learn new techniques, flavors, and skills to live your very best life.Join the course
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.