- Ready In:
- Makes 4 sandwiches
Layered with a delicious homemade Green Pea Spread, thinly sliced tomatoes, and crisp romaine lettuce on toasted whole grain bread, this flavorful vegan PLT (Green Pea, Lettuce & Tomato) sandwich makes the perfect lunch! The Green Pea Spread can be made with fresh or frozen green peas, also known as English peas.
By Ashley Madden,
IngredientsGreen Pea Spread
- 2½ cups fresh green peas or thawed frozen green peas
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed butter or almond butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons water
- 1–2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4–6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- Dijon mustard, to taste
- If using fresh peas, cook them in boiling water for about 3 minutes or until they turn bright green, then quickly transfer them to a bowl of ice water to cool. Set aside for 5 minutes. If using frozen peas, be sure to thaw them.
- Drain the peas, transfer them to a food processor, and add basil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, sunflower seed butter, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon water. Process until mixture is well combined but not completely smooth—you want to maintain some texture. Add more water if needed to achieve desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Transfer the spread to a glass bowl.
- Toast the whole grain bread (2 slices per sandwich). To make each sandwich, spread one toast slice with Dijon mustard and the other slice with ¼ cup of Green Pea Spread. Layer sliced tomatoes and crisp romaine lettuce between the toast slices.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.