- Prep-time: / Cook Time:
- Serves 8
About once a week, my family eats burritos for dinner. This recipe makes a great burrito filling or side dish and doesn’t take much longer than heating up a can of beans. This is a mildly seasoned dish, so you fire and spice lovers will probably want to increase the amounts of jalapeño peppers and chipotle powder.
Find this recipe and more at FatFreeVegan.com.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Susan Voisin,
Jul 10, 2013
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- ½ –1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (add more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned fire-roasted, liquid reserved)
- 1½ cup black beans (or 1 15-ounce can), rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or other pure, mild chili powder)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 7- to 8-inch whole grain tortillas
- Heat a deep, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown.
- Add the pepper, jalapeño, and garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes. If it becomes too dry, add a little vegetable broth or reserved tomato juice.
- Check the flavor, and add salt and additional seasonings to taste.
- In a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm tortillas one at a time 40 seconds or until warm and pliable, turning once. Cover with a damp cloth to keep warm.
- Spread about 1 cup of the bean-and-veggie mixture onto each tortilla just below the center. Fold bottom edge of each tortilla over filling. Fold in opposite sides; roll up tortilla. Place burritos, seam sides down, on a platter. Serve warm. If desired, pass hot pepper sauce.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
Free 5-Day Meal Plan!
Get a taste for healthy, fuss-free meal planning with this free five-day meal plan from Forks Meal Planner!
More from Forks Over Knives
Join our mailing list
Get free recipes and the latest info on living a happy, healthy plant-based lifestyle.
Thank you! You have been successfully subscribed.