- Prep-time: / Cook Time:
- Serves 8
About once a week, my family eats burritos for dinner. This recipe makes a great burrito filling or side dish and doesn’t take much longer than heating up a can of beans. This is a mildly seasoned dish, so you fire and spice lovers will probably want to increase the amounts of jalapeno peppers and chipotle powder.
Find this recipe and more at FatFreeVegan.com.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.
By Susan Voisin,
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- ½ –1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (add more or less to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned fire-roasted, liquid reserved)
- 1½ cup black beans (or 1 15-ounce can), rinsed well
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (or other pure, mild chili powder)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a deep, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown.
- Add the pepper, jalapeño, and garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes. If it becomes too dry, add a little vegetable broth or reserved tomato juice.
- Check the flavor, and add salt and additional seasonings to taste.
Discover finger-lickin’good food with our app
Get inspired! Our chefs add delicious new plant-based recipes every week to keep mealtime exciting and satisfying.Get the recipe app
Healthy eatingshouldn't be a hassle
With weekly meal plans, Forks Meal Planner takes the hard work out of making nutritious meals the whole family will enjoy.Get meal planner
7 Keys to Success on a Healthy Vegan Diet
Getting started on a plant-based diet or looking to refresh your eating habits? Download our practical guide to long-term success.